Skip to main content

My Watch Making Journey: Part 4 - The Watch

 After a few more hours of tinkering, I finally gave up on the movement and busted out my backup movement. Eventually, I was able to put the watch together, but without the second hand.

The completed watch without the second hand.

It was quite bothersome for me to have a watch without a second hand. Since I had no indication whether or not the watch was still running.

I wore this for a few days without any problems. Even my wife showed some interest in the watch and I can see she wanted it so i gave it to her. A few days later the watch just died.

The watch before the movement replacement.

 I had to buy another movement and this time I did my best to look for one that was advertised as being made by Seagull. I picked the Seagull 2813, assembled the watch all over again and the watch was resurrected.

Here is the watch now with a new movement, new strap, and finally a second hand.

Sterile white dial, mercedes hands, oyster case.

I opted for a NATO strap because it is easy to install and replace.

The second hand came from a set of hands I ordered that was missing the hour hand. Although the seller sent the replacement hour hand I had no longer a need for it and opted to just use the second hand for this build. The only thing is that the second hand has green lume, but the dial and other hands have blue lume.

 

Blue lume on the dial indexes, on the hour and minute hands, green on the second hand.

Though this belongs to my wife, I still wear this occasionally. For a first build, I am quite happy with the end result, but I had quite the experience and I know I can do better. I also gained a new found respect to the people who make and repair watches. It's easy to just buy a mechanical watch without appreciating the skill and hard work put into it.

Doing it is very different from watching someone else do it. While some online sources make it look very easy, I assure you it is not that easy especially on the first try. The challenge is mostly in the fitting of the hands to the movement. I also learned a few tricks that I will share in a future post. I will try to document my next build better and hopefully it will be a benefit for someone else.

Since this build, I already did a few more and I can say I have gained some confidence. I still made a few mistakes, destroyed a few more movements and bent some more hands. I hope to improve my skills more and the next step would be to purchase better tools. With better tools, I'm sure the build quality will also improve.

My thanks go to the people who share their skills in watchmaking for free on the internet. And to the watch reviewers, modders, and enthusiasts, more power to you!

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Review: Citizen Eagle 7

While Seiko has the "5", Citizen has the "7". Also called the Eagle 7, this must be Citizen's answer to the popular Seiko 5 line. Though, I'm uncertain if the Eagle 7 lineup is as extensive as the Seiko 5's, the watches I have seen are quite good looking. And like the Seiko 5's, it has a myriad of different flavors and styles. I got this one from the used market earlier this year (2018). It was an accidental purchase because I was not counting on it being gold. The posted photos looked silver to me and there was no mention of it being gold. I was uncomfortably surprised when I saw the watch in person and by then it was too late to cancel the deal. Here it is, my Citizen Eagle 7. It came with a metal bracelet, but it was missing the end link. I scrapped the bracelet and got a black leather strap for this. It has a black dial with stripes, a day & date complication. It has that iconic eagle badge with a red shield. In the middle of the shiel...

Watch Review: Citizen ProMaster Diver NY0040

 Also known as the Citizen "Lefty", the Citizen Promaster diver NY0040 was first released in 1997. It was the preferred watch of the Italian Navy. A 500 meter water resistance version was made specifically for the  Marina Militare. The civilian version is only rated at 200 meters, but is advertised as an ISO rated diver. Some even go as far as to conclude that the military and civilian versions are made to the same specs theoretically making even the civilian version capable of going 500 meters. Specifications Case Material: Stainless Steel Case Dimensions: Diameter: 42mm Thickness: 12mm Lug tip to tip: 48mm Lug width: 20mm Crystal: Mineral Movement: Miyota 8203; Manual wind; Non-hacking. Bezel: 60 click, unidirectional dive time bezel with lume pip. Crown position: 8 o'clock. Screw down. Complications: Day and Date at 3 o'clock. Dial: Glossy black; Applied indexes with lume. Caseback: Solid; Screw down. The one I have here is the black version. This is the most commo...

Watch Review: Guanqin 1868 Legend Automatic Dress Watch - GQ008815

Chinese watches are getting better. With the advent of social media, more and more people are being informed and convinced that Chinese watches are not at all as bad as we think. Of course in buying anything, one must take some risk and I would say much more so for these relatively new and sometimes very generic Chinese watches. One Chinese brand that caught my attention is Guanqin. I first saw this brand on Aliexpress and I got a bit curious about it. Thanks to Youtubers who have reviewed watches from this brand, I have also pulled the trigger and bought myself a Guanqin watch. Here it is! The Gaunqin GQ008815 Automatic Watch. Specifications Case diameter: 39 mm Case thickness: 12 mm Lug width: 19 mm Lug tip to lug tip: 48 mm Crystal: Sapphire Movement: Unknown Chinese movement Hacking: Yes Manual Wind: Yes Complications: Date only Price: Php 2,300 (Approx USD 44) Purchased Online:  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i135106104-s151282258.html?urlFlag=true&mp=...