Skip to main content

My Watch Making Journey: Part 2 - The Movement and Dial

 The plan was relatively simple. I had outlined the process I was suppose to do in my head as follow.

  1. Attach the dial to the movement. 
  2. Attach the hands to the movement. 
  3. Put the assembled unit (movement, dial, hands) into the case. 
  4. Trim the winding stem to size and attach the crown and screw on the case back.
All was set. I readied my 5x loupe, set my tools, wore my gloves, and started with the movement and dial.

It was relatively easy to attach the dial to the movement. The dial had pins that would fit through gaps on the movement edge and would firmly attach using screws that would pinch the dial pins against the movement. The movement was supplied with a small spacer so that the dial will not foul up the date complication. On some movements, this spacer is not needed, but for this type, it is definitely a must. This was a relatively easy install. I got a bit more confident after this.

Loosening one of the screws that hold the dial pins.
Movement: Seagull 2813.

Since there are a lot of makers of this type of movement, it is quite hard to say for sure if the movement was really made by Seagull. Other makers are DG and Mingzhu. Since the online seller has Seagull in his posting, I will consider this a Seagull movement.

The Dial.

Sterile white dial that is clearly inspired by Rolex. I opted for the sterile dial (no branding or lettering), because my build would become a replica/fake if there was any sort of branding on the dial. It would effectively make my project illegal. While the design copies heavily on a popular brand, the lack of any branding makes the watch a homage rather than a counterfeit. Some may be uncomfortable with homage watches which is understandable. I on the other hand, am not. Personally, as long as a watch is not a replica (complete with branding and all), I don't have anything against it.

It's been said many times, but allow me to make it clear.

"REPLICA WATCHES ARE ILLEGAL! DO NOT BUY OR EVEN ATTEMPT TO MAKE THEM!!!"

With that out of the way, let's move on.

Dial Spacer. Cutouts on the spacer correspond to the dial pins.

The dial spacer is needed to lift the dial from the movement ever so slightly so as not to touch the calendar wheel. Without this spacer, the calendar wheel will not be able to advance potentially ruining the movement.

Spacer installed on the dial.



Dial installed on the movement. Here I'm advancing the time until the date changes which signify 12 Midnight. You will see the importance of that in a future post.

Step one done! I told myself that the rest would be relatively easy after this.

To be continued...

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Review: Citizen Eagle 7

While Seiko has the "5", Citizen has the "7". Also called the Eagle 7, this must be Citizen's answer to the popular Seiko 5 line. Though, I'm uncertain if the Eagle 7 lineup is as extensive as the Seiko 5's, the watches I have seen are quite good looking. And like the Seiko 5's, it has a myriad of different flavors and styles. I got this one from the used market earlier this year (2018). It was an accidental purchase because I was not counting on it being gold. The posted photos looked silver to me and there was no mention of it being gold. I was uncomfortably surprised when I saw the watch in person and by then it was too late to cancel the deal. Here it is, my Citizen Eagle 7. It came with a metal bracelet, but it was missing the end link. I scrapped the bracelet and got a black leather strap for this. It has a black dial with stripes, a day & date complication. It has that iconic eagle badge with a red shield. In the middle of the shiel...

Watch Review: Guanqin 1868 Legend Automatic Dress Watch - GQ008815

Chinese watches are getting better. With the advent of social media, more and more people are being informed and convinced that Chinese watches are not at all as bad as we think. Of course in buying anything, one must take some risk and I would say much more so for these relatively new and sometimes very generic Chinese watches. One Chinese brand that caught my attention is Guanqin. I first saw this brand on Aliexpress and I got a bit curious about it. Thanks to Youtubers who have reviewed watches from this brand, I have also pulled the trigger and bought myself a Guanqin watch. Here it is! The Gaunqin GQ008815 Automatic Watch. Specifications Case diameter: 39 mm Case thickness: 12 mm Lug width: 19 mm Lug tip to lug tip: 48 mm Crystal: Sapphire Movement: Unknown Chinese movement Hacking: Yes Manual Wind: Yes Complications: Date only Price: Php 2,300 (Approx USD 44) Purchased Online:  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i135106104-s151282258.html?urlFlag=true&mp=...

Watch Review: Citizen ProMaster Diver NY0040

 Also known as the Citizen "Lefty", the Citizen Promaster diver NY0040 was first released in 1997. It was the preferred watch of the Italian Navy. A 500 meter water resistance version was made specifically for the  Marina Militare. The civilian version is only rated at 200 meters, but is advertised as an ISO rated diver. Some even go as far as to conclude that the military and civilian versions are made to the same specs theoretically making even the civilian version capable of going 500 meters. Specifications Case Material: Stainless Steel Case Dimensions: Diameter: 42mm Thickness: 12mm Lug tip to tip: 48mm Lug width: 20mm Crystal: Mineral Movement: Miyota 8203; Manual wind; Non-hacking. Bezel: 60 click, unidirectional dive time bezel with lume pip. Crown position: 8 o'clock. Screw down. Complications: Day and Date at 3 o'clock. Dial: Glossy black; Applied indexes with lume. Caseback: Solid; Screw down. The one I have here is the black version. This is the most commo...