Skip to main content

Citizen or Seiko?

When people say Japanese watches, I immediately think Citizen and Seiko. Of course Seiko was established first and had it's foot through the door before Citizen could walk. However, Citizen also has a very interesting history and in my opinion it has made watches that rivals Seiko in form and function.

Here in the Philippines, both Seiko and Citizen are popular watch brands. However, of the two, Seiko is more popular. It is probably because of the unlimited options the Seiko 5 line offers and the reasonably affordable diver's watches that have now become very iconic. Citizen is not very far behind with their Citizen Eagle 7 line that rivals the Seiko 5, but I think the Citizen 7 is not as extensive. In general, most people here who like automatic watches go for Seiko.

It is probably an unfair comparison if you compared the brands in terms of their history and popularity since Seiko would take the cake. Citizen has mostly been an alternative to Seiko in terms of how its watches are viewed by the public. In the 90's if you wanted to be different from everyone else, you got a Citizen since most people then wore a Seiko. Citizen is a very underrated brand in my opinion and it deserves more recognition than it is given.

I own two Seiko 5's and one Citizen Eagle 7, but the Seiko 5's were hand me downs, but I bought my only Citizen 7 on purpose. Of course the Seiko 5's have more wrist time since I have owned them for over 20 years. I like the Seiko 5's very much, but if there is one thing I don't like about the modern Seiko 5's, with the 7S26 movement, is that it's not hand winding. Which is the thing that I like about the Citizen Eagle 7 that uses the 8200 movement, it hand winds. For me that's a big one up...a major one up.

I love Seiko for the sheer amount of choices from their Seiko 5 line, but technically, I like Citizen more because their watches feature hand winding. Once the Seiko 5's magic lever fails, its over. The watch is practically dead. For the Citizen Eagle 7, if the rotor (automatic winder) fails, you can still wind up the watch and use it.

In the end it's just a matter of preference. You may argue that the Citizen 7 is a better watch and I may agree with you, but you can't deny that the Seiko 5 is an icon. Seiko is still shelling out Seiko 5's, but I think Citizen has stopped making the Eagle 7.

So, is it Citizen or Seiko? For me, it will always be Seiko then Citizen. It wouldn't be fair to me if I just picked one.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Review: Citizen Eagle 7

While Seiko has the "5", Citizen has the "7". Also called the Eagle 7, this must be Citizen's answer to the popular Seiko 5 line. Though, I'm uncertain if the Eagle 7 lineup is as extensive as the Seiko 5's, the watches I have seen are quite good looking. And like the Seiko 5's, it has a myriad of different flavors and styles. I got this one from the used market earlier this year (2018). It was an accidental purchase because I was not counting on it being gold. The posted photos looked silver to me and there was no mention of it being gold. I was uncomfortably surprised when I saw the watch in person and by then it was too late to cancel the deal. Here it is, my Citizen Eagle 7. It came with a metal bracelet, but it was missing the end link. I scrapped the bracelet and got a black leather strap for this. It has a black dial with stripes, a day & date complication. It has that iconic eagle badge with a red shield. In the middle of the shiel...

Watch Review: Citizen ProMaster Diver NY0040

 Also known as the Citizen "Lefty", the Citizen Promaster diver NY0040 was first released in 1997. It was the preferred watch of the Italian Navy. A 500 meter water resistance version was made specifically for the  Marina Militare. The civilian version is only rated at 200 meters, but is advertised as an ISO rated diver. Some even go as far as to conclude that the military and civilian versions are made to the same specs theoretically making even the civilian version capable of going 500 meters. Specifications Case Material: Stainless Steel Case Dimensions: Diameter: 42mm Thickness: 12mm Lug tip to tip: 48mm Lug width: 20mm Crystal: Mineral Movement: Miyota 8203; Manual wind; Non-hacking. Bezel: 60 click, unidirectional dive time bezel with lume pip. Crown position: 8 o'clock. Screw down. Complications: Day and Date at 3 o'clock. Dial: Glossy black; Applied indexes with lume. Caseback: Solid; Screw down. The one I have here is the black version. This is the most commo...

Watch Review: Guanqin 1868 Legend Automatic Dress Watch - GQ008815

Chinese watches are getting better. With the advent of social media, more and more people are being informed and convinced that Chinese watches are not at all as bad as we think. Of course in buying anything, one must take some risk and I would say much more so for these relatively new and sometimes very generic Chinese watches. One Chinese brand that caught my attention is Guanqin. I first saw this brand on Aliexpress and I got a bit curious about it. Thanks to Youtubers who have reviewed watches from this brand, I have also pulled the trigger and bought myself a Guanqin watch. Here it is! The Gaunqin GQ008815 Automatic Watch. Specifications Case diameter: 39 mm Case thickness: 12 mm Lug width: 19 mm Lug tip to lug tip: 48 mm Crystal: Sapphire Movement: Unknown Chinese movement Hacking: Yes Manual Wind: Yes Complications: Date only Price: Php 2,300 (Approx USD 44) Purchased Online:  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i135106104-s151282258.html?urlFlag=true&mp=...