Skip to main content

Opinel 7 Carbone: Unboxing and Initial Thoughts

This was an impulsive buy for me. I just happen to be at the basement of Makati Cinema Square and found out first hand that the place is full of tactical shops selling guns, knives, vests, bullets, military gear, etc. I found a small store that sells mostly knives and bags. It is one of the stores that don't sell guns. I was a bit afraid to walk in a gun store.

As I browsed through their inventory, I noticed they sold Opinel knives. I asked to see the number 8 and 7 in both carbon steel and stainless steel. I opted for the number 7 carbon steel Opinel since the size was just right for me and I've been wanting a carbon steel folding knife for a while now.

Got this for a shop called FORGED.

Carbon steel blade. This will need much more maintenance than stainless steel.

Multi-language blister pack.
I didn't get the one with the leather pouch since it's much more expensive. I can make do without the pouch.

The knife features a locking collar called VIROBLOC. This is of course made in France.

Here it is out of the package. CARBONE is most likely French for CARBON??

Opening the blade is easy enough.
Opening the blade for the fist time was a bit difficult. The blade seems to be stuck tightly between the wooden handle. Opening and closing it a few times made the blade easier to flip open.

As I opened the package, the smell of varnish filled the room. Reminds me of burnt pine resin. Apparently, the wood handle is varnished.

Fully open. Blade is a clip point style.
Above photo shows the knife fully open. To prevent the knife the accidentally closing, the collar must be turned. The blade has "CARBONE" on it signifying that it is carbon steel. The stainless steel variant has "INOX" on the blade.

Holding the knife for the first  time.

Fits my small hands just right.
The knife size is just right for me. At 8cm blade length, is is just right for slicing and dicing food. I will most likely take this with me on my next camping trip.

I recommend this knife for those considering starting a pocket knife collection. It's affordable at Php 650. Of course its not very robust since the handle is all wood, but for an every day carry utility knife, it certainly is worth the money.

If you want a larger blade, go for the higher numbers. The No. 8 seems to be the one that most people go for.

If you are not comfortable in caring for a carbon steel blade, you can get the stainless steel version for a higher price. I for one don't mind taking care of the carbon steel blade and preventing it from corroding. I have a bit of experience with carbon steel blades since some of the knives I own are made of carbon steel.

I will be sharing my way of taking care of carbon steel blades in a future post.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Review: Citizen Eagle 7

While Seiko has the "5", Citizen has the "7". Also called the Eagle 7, this must be Citizen's answer to the popular Seiko 5 line. Though, I'm uncertain if the Eagle 7 lineup is as extensive as the Seiko 5's, the watches I have seen are quite good looking. And like the Seiko 5's, it has a myriad of different flavors and styles. I got this one from the used market earlier this year (2018). It was an accidental purchase because I was not counting on it being gold. The posted photos looked silver to me and there was no mention of it being gold. I was uncomfortably surprised when I saw the watch in person and by then it was too late to cancel the deal. Here it is, my Citizen Eagle 7. It came with a metal bracelet, but it was missing the end link. I scrapped the bracelet and got a black leather strap for this. It has a black dial with stripes, a day & date complication. It has that iconic eagle badge with a red shield. In the middle of the shiel...

Watch Review: Citizen ProMaster Diver NY0040

 Also known as the Citizen "Lefty", the Citizen Promaster diver NY0040 was first released in 1997. It was the preferred watch of the Italian Navy. A 500 meter water resistance version was made specifically for the  Marina Militare. The civilian version is only rated at 200 meters, but is advertised as an ISO rated diver. Some even go as far as to conclude that the military and civilian versions are made to the same specs theoretically making even the civilian version capable of going 500 meters. Specifications Case Material: Stainless Steel Case Dimensions: Diameter: 42mm Thickness: 12mm Lug tip to tip: 48mm Lug width: 20mm Crystal: Mineral Movement: Miyota 8203; Manual wind; Non-hacking. Bezel: 60 click, unidirectional dive time bezel with lume pip. Crown position: 8 o'clock. Screw down. Complications: Day and Date at 3 o'clock. Dial: Glossy black; Applied indexes with lume. Caseback: Solid; Screw down. The one I have here is the black version. This is the most commo...

Watch Review: Guanqin 1868 Legend Automatic Dress Watch - GQ008815

Chinese watches are getting better. With the advent of social media, more and more people are being informed and convinced that Chinese watches are not at all as bad as we think. Of course in buying anything, one must take some risk and I would say much more so for these relatively new and sometimes very generic Chinese watches. One Chinese brand that caught my attention is Guanqin. I first saw this brand on Aliexpress and I got a bit curious about it. Thanks to Youtubers who have reviewed watches from this brand, I have also pulled the trigger and bought myself a Guanqin watch. Here it is! The Gaunqin GQ008815 Automatic Watch. Specifications Case diameter: 39 mm Case thickness: 12 mm Lug width: 19 mm Lug tip to lug tip: 48 mm Crystal: Sapphire Movement: Unknown Chinese movement Hacking: Yes Manual Wind: Yes Complications: Date only Price: Php 2,300 (Approx USD 44) Purchased Online:  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i135106104-s151282258.html?urlFlag=true&mp=...